Home Unexplained Disclaimer FAQS Contact Us


Undisclosed Church- Kent

10th October 2009

We have been asked not to identify this venue at the custodians request but have been fortunate to have been entrusted with overnight access, to try to explain experiences and sensations felt by people here, as well as better understand our own results from previous investigation here.

To continue our study into potential paranormal phenomena at this location.

The site has been a centre of religious worship for hundreds of years and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book (1086).

  The Investigation
  Previously we had simply spent our time conducting group vigils in different areas of the building. When doing so we had noted a large amount of noise, taps and knocks were heard, as well as a sense and sound of movement. There had also been reports of sightings. We wished to investigate these further as well as try to gain some insight into previous eyewitness reported.



Samsung VP-D351 with night vision
Sony DCR HC-24E with night vision and Sony HVL-IRM IR light
Sony DCR-HC19 with night vision and Sony HVL- IRM IR light
Sony DCR-DVD110E with night vision and Sony HVL- IRM IR light

Digital Camera:
Canon 400D
Fuji Fine Pix S5000
Fuji Fine Pix S5500
Fuji Fine Pix S5500
Pentax K-100D Digital SLR
Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-38

Voice recorder:
Olympus VN-2100PC
Olympus DM20

Video tapes (MiniDV)

Ian, Kim, Paddy, and Dave.

Using visual and scientific methods combined with spiritual theory investigate the background to alleged paranormal phenomena at this venue. This time we decided not to waste any time. We had no preconceived plan on this occasion as we simply wanted to pick a spot and conduct either vigils or séances based upon our understanding of the situation at the time. The usual equipment was to be deployed as above.

We arrived and wasted no time setting up our equipment and getting on with it.

Session one
We sat for a séance in the main body of the church by the original front door but were unfortunately interrupted on a number of occasions by earthly visitors outside the building, therefore, this session was a little stilted until the various visitors had left and the session recommenced. This was eventually stopped when it became necessary to relocate to the chancel in front of the altar, as after we resumed it was not long before Paddy heard movement from the altar, what he thought was the rustling of the polythene dust sheet covering the altar cloth. He and Dave investigated leaving Kim and Ian sat in the nave. Paddy eventually called Ian and Kim over to that area where the session continued. Various members of the team took turns inviting responses from anyone else present to join us and produce some kind of recordable evidence. This continued until we had a break to again check that no one else had arrived outside.

Session two
For this session we moved our chairs to the chancel, and conducted a séance. We did this with Ian, Kim and Dave leaving out Paddy so he would be free and able to react to anything that might occur and be better able to investigate. Again various members of the team took turns inviting responses from anyone else present.

Session three
This session was a continuation of the last in the same format and same location until the close of the investigation.

Session one
The start of the investigation was very promising, no sooner had we sat down that we became aware of sounds, taps and the sound of movement emanating from different areas of the building. Unfortunately these were not picked up by our recording equipment.

The reason for the relocation was valid. Paddy and Dave had witnessed the rustling and movement of the dust sheet first hand as well as taps and creaks in the area, including the movement of a nearby chair as though being sat on. Once all gathered these noises continued intermittently, sometimes on request, footsteps and the sound of movement were also heard. Requests for more noises were made by all members of the team and the requests were occasionally responded too.

The noise of foot falls were also heard along side us. These noises did not remain in the altar area as soon they were being heard from around other areas of the building.

Session two
We had noted a distinct lack of noise in the building during our break and that this was the same while we were setting up. No sooner had we sat down that the noises began again. Noises, mainly taps and clicks, were heard in our area, from the choir stalls and further down the church. Many of these noises were heard in direct response to a request for the same. To a point these noises became too frequent and difficult to consider as responses, so we asked them to reduce, which they did.

Further noise and movement could then be heard from the rear of the church. This was matched by Paddy (who was facing that way) thinking he could see movement as well as hear it.

Kim began to shake and feel very cold.

Paddy then thought he saw a light in the base of the bell tower (at the rear). Dave continued to question asking for a response and explaining the reasons for our questioning. The situation became quite intense, more questions posed and more noises in response along with a now cold and chilling atmosphere, which seemed to affect Kim the most.

This situation continued for a while longer until there came an almighty crash from somewhere. After discussion over whether it was the door, in the building or above on the roof we agreed it was from the roof area.

For a short while we sat and listened but nothing further occurred. It was not long before we felt this had to be investigated and we cautiously went outside, as we did not know what we were going to find. Once outside we decided to have a break from this interesting session.

Session three
The sounds continued, although were diminishing.

Ian started the session by inviting responsive noises to acknowledge him and there were a few taps heard seemingly in response to his requests. Sadly the noises being heard were so subtle that they were not recorded on our equipment that is apart from what can best be described as a loud clang twenty two minutes into the session, and again four minutes later, oddly this was not commented on by the team at the time.

There was not a recurrence of the incident we experienced during the second session.

Session one
Given the lack of recorded evidence we cannot analyse the noises and movement sensed during the brief session in the nave. Also we have to be mindful that people did arrive and although we were certain we noticed them arrive and depart we cannot discount that some noise might have been accountable to them. This is despite the team’s agreement that the noises did occur within the building and at times when we knew no one was outside. Unfortunately the knowledge that others were periodically present would decrease the credibility of any evidence that may have been recorded, and this cause cannot be discounted.

Once relocated to the altar area we knew there was nobody outside. Unfortunately the initial rustle heard and seen by Paddy and Dave was not repeated or recorded. They did check for drafts and none were present, although the dust sheet material was very thin and light and would be very susceptible to interference by air movement however that may have been caused. The creak of the chair could have been the natural noise of timber contracting as the cold night drew in, but it had not been that warm a day and the manner in which the creaks and taps seemed to respond to us suggested otherwise. For the entire time Ian recorded the move to this area and what occurred whilst there, unfortunately very little of the noises all four of us heard actually came out on our camcorder footage or recordings. To at least see the teams reaction to these phenomena please see the video of these events.






Session two
Again very few of the noises heard by the team were captured on camcorder or audio recordings, therefore, we have no evidence of the frequency and apparent responsiveness of these, equally we cannot prove that they stopped when requested, a situation that is frustrating.
As it was so dark, especially to the rear of the church when viewed the full length of the building, the movement Paddy thought he saw could not be confirmed, and neither were any of our camcorders pointing in that direction. This could have been an effect of the shadows on tired eyes or imagination caused by the intensity of the moment.

We cannot explain why Kim became uncomfortable and began to shake as it was not cold enough to cause this.

The light Paddy saw in the base of the bell tower could have been a torch light or car headlamps. But given the height of the windows in the base of the tower both of these are unlikely, neither had we heard anyone approaching. This was later checked when some of us returned a few days later and it is considered that the height of the window would have made it impossible to reach up and shine a torch in without a ladder, which we would have heard. Neither could it have been distant headlamps of cars as there was no road, near or far, that would enable a cars headlamp to line up with the window. The explanation for this light now eludes us.

The loud noise from the roof cannot be explained. We had not long before confirmed there was no one outside but checking the perimeter We knew no vehicles had come along since as we would have clearly heard them. No one could have approached on foot and scaled the roof with a ladder without being heard by us inside. We checked outside shortly afterwards and could see no sign of anyone having been there and to the best of our ability we could see no damage to the roof, despite the sound clearly being foot falls across the roof followed by a stumble and someone/thing scrabbling as they/it slid and fell down the roof.

We have since discussed the possibility of an animal of sorts but given the nature of the noise we cannot determine any form of wildlife large enough to have caused such a commotion. This has to be seen and heard to be believed and we urge you to see the footage on our attached video to assess this for yourself. [linkie] On our return a few days later we noticed that there was no damage to any face of the roof or guttering, we felt sure that some of the commotion would have at least dislodge a couple of tiles and this has been confirmed by the keyholder who has also seen the footage and offers no explanation for what caused the noise. We again have no explanation for this.

Session three
Given the lack of recorded evidence it is difficult to analyse and comment on the content of session three or draw any conclusions. The noises were very quiet and being as random as they were they could have on occasion appeared to have been responsive, but yet still naturally occurring. The two odd clangs that were recorded cannot be identified, even more oddly they both seem to occur as Dave is yawning and we believe that this is the source of the sound.

The sense of movement around other areas of the building continued to a degree but why some of us were thinking this could not be explained.

During our stay a certain amount of other information was forthcoming to the team of a clairvoyant nature. As Ghost Connections conducts scientifically based investigations we do not publish such observations, however, this information is held on a separate database and may prove interesting when compared to other peoples experiences. Should you wish to discuss this information please email us

Very few of the audible noises were found to be recorded but those that were confirm that they were not imagined by the team. We are of course completely dumbfounded by the noise heard coming from the roof in session two. Camcorder footage, still photographs and voice recorders were later examined and nothing further of note was found other than what can be seen on the associated investigation videos.

Many thanks as always to the custodians of this venue, and for letting us return soon.
<< Back


2004/2010 Ghost Connections UK